Mathematics For Thought

Documenting an educator's love for all that teaching mathematics involves

OCTOBER 2012 – The Student Learning Log and the “Growth Mindset”

| 0 comments

Macro of a leaf unfurling in the cloud forest adjacent to our lodge Bosque de Paz
Photo Credit: Mike Baird via Compfight

October 2012 was dedicated entirely on providing my students with a tool that was “friendly” enough for them to be able to use independently to monitor and control their learning: “The learning Log”

The current Student Learning LogI am using had undergone a lot of metamorphoses from the wording, to the format and content. One thing I knew it has to have: it must indicate how the students see themselves progressing through each unit. I wanted them to be able at any given time to be able to describe what they know and can do well and identify a few goals that they are working towards achieving.

This tool was ultimately designed as an assessment as learning tool. In its first stage it was names “My Learning Path”. Given the many contexts of the word “path” mostly in professional learning communities I had to change its title to “My Learning Log”.

Initially the log included each expectation from the previous year and the current one. They were added in the log and did not make too much sense to the students. As well, to make their job less assiduous I provided them with easy symbols to denote: “progressing very well”, “progressing well”, “almost there” and “still working on it”. I found that most students did not understand how to use it (and that meant more modelling on my part) or they used it only when required and did not put much thought into using those symbols. Most importantly, they did not understand those goals that were already there, written  and got confused in the sea of expectations presented to them. Did I mention that they still had trouble understanding the purpose of this form. So, this was out and I knew I had more work to do modelling the use and explaining the purpose.

A NEW UNDERSTANDING: The forever truthful “less is more”.

Mathematics Teaching Translation:  “Let the students identify the big ideas and do the work”. It’s their learning.

I knew I had to get rid of those expectations and allow the students to go through the process of consciously deciding the following:

a. What they already know and can do – THE STRENGTHS

b. What they need to improve on ( what gaps to fill from the previous year(s) – THE LEARNING TARGETS THAT NEED TO BE ACHIEVED

c. What new learning they need to focus on during grade 6: THE LEARNING TARGETS CORRESPONDING TO THE CURRENT YEAR

d. What their progress is each day. – MONITORING THE CONTINUOUS TRANSFORMATION OF TARGETS INTO STRENGTHS

I modelled this during two units and I must say that now it’s becoming less of a guided process and more independent. The students can do this at home or in class at the end of each instructional unit. This is another opportunity for them to develop self-awareness and get involved continuously into the learning process. Thus, they get to realize the amount of learning they get through.

The log is revised mid unit when we have peer-peer support carousel sessions based on student self-identified strengths and goals. Students get a chance to “openly” identify what strengths and targets they have in relation to every learning goal of the unit. They are partnered according to strengths and targets and work through a variety of challenges doing think aloud’s. These sessions are target based and they are lead by the students who need support not by the ones who is already strong.

THE “GROWTH MINDSET” AND LEARNING GAPS

I was asked on a few occasions whether I am not worried about asking students to publicly identify their strengths and learning targets. Am I not worried of embarrassing, poor self-confidence?

Here’s my take: First, I don’t start using these sessions in September. In September I talk to them about our learning community and I cultivate systematically the “growth mindset” I want my students to have. I think that given the experience I have with this so far teachers will be stunned to see that they only ones who are afraid of this are the teachers. We cultivate the idea that we all learn with and from each other. If you are an adept of Bansho, you will know what I am talking about. Many students who might be described as “struggling” surprise with solutions that make their way to the right side of the board. The same happens here: students who are very strong, will identify targets. Isn’t this what we want anyways? Students who are struggling will identify at least one strength a unit. It always happened to me. I started using these sessions in 2010 and I never had any surprises. The “worst” that can happen is they all have identified a learning goal as a target and so I get the immediate assessment data that I need to go back to that goal the following lesson.

Additionally, what motivates students is to see that math does not come easy for a few and hard for the same but rather that it takes time, effort and determination to grow into your strengths.

For more ideas on the how we can talk to students to cultivate Dr. Carol Dweck‘s “Growth Mindset” in the classroom please check the following link:

http://www.mindsetworks.com/professional-development-and-tools/

Author: Mirela Ciobanu

Mirela Ciobanu is an elementary school teacher in Toronto. She has been teaching with Toronto District School Board since 2004. Mirela has developed a keen interest in teacher inquiry in mathematics, particularly in the area of formative assessment. She has conducted two action researches as part of the Teacher Learning and Leadership Program for Experienced Teachers initiated and funded by the Ontario Ministry of Education in partnership with the Ontario Teachers Federation. Mirela's latest educational focus is in the area of teaching using an integrated approach, with the ultimate goal of preparing students who are well-informed, critical thinkers and active citizens.